Strict Standards: Non-static method StringParser_Node::destroyNode() should not be called statically, assuming $this from incompatible context in /home2/buyreddragon/public_html/blog/fp-plugins/bbcode/inc/stringparser.class.php on line 358
Even with our celebration of Fatherâ€™s Day and National Menâ€™s Health Week this month, many men consider taking care of their health as less than a â€śmanlyâ€ť thing to do.
A report from the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality stated that men are much less less likely than women to have visited the doctor in the past year. Why so? Maybe that could be a reason why men are also more likely to be hospitalized for congestive heart failure, diabetes and pneumonia.
â€śI’m not sure why, maybe itâ€™s a macho thing,â€ť says Dr. Waverly, RN, BA of Mpls. â€śBut as the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Staying on top of your health can prevent a small issue from becoming big.â€ť
The Centers for Disease Control offers the following steps to help prevent injury and disease:
1. Get routine Checkups. Visit your doctor at least once a year and do it every year. Talk to him or her about regular screenings for:
Â· Blood pressure
Â· Cardiovascular disease
Â· Colorectal cancer (after age 50) and other cancers
Â· Abdominal aortic aneurysm (after age 65)
2. Understand your numbers. They give you a view of your health. Your doctor should tell you what they mean and if they are within a normal range.
3. Manage prevention Make health a priority everyday and a part of your daily routine.
4. Get Plenty of sleep. Adults need seven to nine hours of sleep each night to help prevent maladies such as diabetes, cardiovascular disease, obesity and depression.
5. Don’t Smoke! If you enjoy smoking, switch to an alternative like Red Dragon Electronic cigarettes. Stay away from secondhand smoke. Quitting tobacco has immediate and long-term health benefits.
6. Stay active and exercise. Raise your heart rate and breathing for at least 2 1/2 hours a week. Divide your fitness schedule over the course of the week or into smaller chunks of time throughout the day.
7. Eat what’s good for you. Eat a wide variety of vegetables and fruits while limiting foods and drinks high in sugar, calories, salt, and fat.
8. Vaccines anyone? As a child you most likely received a few vaccinations. However, immunity to some diseases can fade over time. Regardless,some vaccinations are only for adults. Be sure to consult your doctor to learn more about what vaccinations are right for you.
9. Pay attention to Your Health! Are you thirsty often? do you have any rash or sores? DO you ever experience shortness of breath? If you or your loved ones experience any of these be sure they see a doctor right away.
â€śMen have to be strong and in good health in order to take care of themselves and the ones who count on them,â€ť says Waverly. Committing to a healthy lifestyle and making sure to visit the doctor on a regular basis are keys to living a long and healthy life. Those who are proactive about maintaining their health will be able to take care of themselves and the people they care about.â€ť
We wish you all a Happy Fathers Day and a life of good health!